logoheader1header2header3
पुनरीक्षित शहरी विकास योजना जबलपुर 2014- सुझाव आंमत्रित (jabalpurcdp@gmail.com)
pay
pay
Backlog Result
About Nagar Palik Nigam Jabalpur

Jabalpur Municipal Corporation Serving the City Since 1864



The Jabalpur Municipal Corporation which is one of the places in the city which has vivid memories of people who really had done something unforgettable for mankind.

The Jabalpur Municipality which was established way back in 1864 has a glorious past. From Municipality to the Corporation and from old to the new building, it has experienced many ups and downs during Ibis expedition. Nevertheless, it is still looking after the basic amenities.

However, the original records are almost non-existent, but stray references in gazettes and other historical texts are available on reconstruct the history.

The British came to Jabalpur in 1817 as victors and the Maratha administration collapsed in a skirmish, which lasted only six hours. Cantonment became the permanent residence of the Army officers, and they established a Cantonment Board in 1826 to look after the basic amenities of the Army and the civilians.

When the Municipality was established in 1864 and the town did not have enough build up space to accommodate the various departments, officers were housed in an old building in Garha which was the capital of Gond Kings. At that time the area of Jabalpur was only 7 miles which included Garha also.

To offer a semblance of public participation the State nominated two persons to the committee.

The financial resources of the Municipality were met by taxes, which were levied on people in the form of water tax, market tax, cleaning tax and taxes on slaughter houses.

In the formative years, even the police was under the Municipality and the salary was paid from Municipal coffer.

In 1864, the Lucknow Municipal Committee Act was brought into force and  Deputy Commissioner Jabalpur was vested with the powers of the President of the Municipality, in addition to his official duties of maintaining law and order. Mr W H Nembhard was the first Deputy Commissioner cum President, Municipal Committee.

In 1868, the Punjab Municipal Committee Act was applied to Jabalpur, and also to the tehsil town of Sihora. Under this Act two-third of the members of the Municipal Committee were elected by exercising franchise and one-third were the officers of the various local departments, who were on the Board in lieu of the officers they were holding. In 1870, Lord Minto, proposed greater participation of the natives in the Local S elf Government.

Thus, in 1873, Municipal Act no. II was passed and continued in force till 1883. In this year, the Local Self Government Act, otl883 no. 1, was brought into force for. the existing Municipalities. More power was given under this Act. The police administration had to be reinforced and education, health, metalled roads, drainage was to be given priorities and more welfare activities were taken up. In 1881 the police administration was seprated from the Municipality and became an Independent department.

In 1882, Lord Ripon, recommended many important reforms, and a broader and more comprehensive view of peoples' participation in Municipal administration was taken. Under these recommendations the MP Local Self Government Act of 1883, was passed in 1889, and was implemented in toto in 1895.

The then Municipal Committee, had 20 elected members and seven nominated members, and the total income of the Municipality was Rs 2,314 for that year.

In 1896-97, Lord Elgin, recommended more drastic remedial measures of Local Self Government. This led to the passing of Municipal Act 1903.

This act improved the financial condition of the Municipality by 1906-07, and the income 2,43,000 and the income rose to 2,43,000 and the expenditure Rs. 1 ,84,000. The British Government applied the Government of  1919. Under this Act, CP and Berar Municipal Corporation Act no. II of 1922 was passed and became applicable to the State in July 1923.

This act remained in force till 1948. The new Municipal Corporation Act No. III was passed on June 1,1950 and the Jabalpur Municipal Corporation (JMC) came into existence.

            In the growing years the Municipal Committee was unable to start welfare activities from its old resources, and they were obliged to take even loans and conations from implementing their liberal schemes.

To quote and example, the Municipal Committee took loan from Raja Gokuldas to the tune of Rs 6, lakhs in 1881 for the construction of the Khandari Water Works. A part of the loan was interest free, and the part was carrying only a nominal interest repayable in more than 20 years. Raja Saheb also con­structed a Town Hall, to commemorate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria's reign on September 2, 1892, and the Municipal offices and library were shifted there in the same year.

The Municipal Committee func­tioned under various presidents and undertook many philanthropic activ­ities. The Congress party also active­ly participated in the Local Self Government and their Spokesman Pandit D P Mishra became the President in 1932.After a tiff with the Government on the question of the appointment of J N Seal, Advocate of Seoni, as Secretary, the Government by a notification annulled the election of D P Mishra as President.

In 1935, the Municipality was superseded and Murli Manohar Seth was appointed an Officer on Special Duty.

He looked after the day-to-day working but could not produce any impact on the administration.

The Municipal Committee continued to function till May 31,1950, and on June I, 1950, the Jabalpur Municipal Corporatiort was established. The city was divided into 30 wards by a notification dated January 18, 1949.

There would be 43 Corporators, 34 elected and 6 selected by the elected body, 3 nominated by the Government. 30 were elected from the various. wards and the rest were representatives of the Chamber of Commerce and a few trade unions.

The statutory period was for 5 years and electoral colleagues would elect Mayor and Deputy Mayor every year.

The first Administrator of the Corporation was Mr. Pendharkar and the first elected Mayor was Bhawani Prasad Tiwari, who got elected in 1952 and remained Mayor 7 times, Sawaimal Jain was elected a Mayor 3 times, Indira Sharma became the first lady to become a Mayor in 1952-53. Kailash Baksh Singh Gour was the leader of Opposition.

The terms of the councilors expired on September 24, 1962. It was extended for 6 months by a              notification dated September 1962.

The jurisdiction of the was enlarged in 1959 vide Government notification dated October 19, 1959 and now extended over all area of 53 sq. miles which was only 7 miles in 1864.

The Jabalpur Corporation had 2l administrators for various periods. The last election was held in 1979 and from March 5, 1983 the Jabalpur Corporation is governed only through administrators.

On October 12, 1959 Jabalpur Corporation designed a logo in which are words 'Anirved Shrayo Mulam' (A man can achieve success by perseverance.)

In 1961 Jabalpur witnessed a serious calamity famous as Usha Bhargava Kand, and the Mayor Bhawani Prasad Tiwari constituted a Mayor's relief committee for the amelioration of the lot of riot affected persons.

On February 14,1961 KailashNath Katju, Chief Minister, Madhya Pradesh attended the meeting of the relief committee and declared som relief measures for those whose life and property was destroyed.

A new proposal was sent to Government to create 54 wards 0 the basis of the increase in pollution. 47 Corporators would be elected from amongst the common war including the Corportors fro Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes.

Since then, the corporation has seen many changes and now 70 public representatives have be looking after the need and  betterment  of residents of their respective wards.

Besides, the Mayor, Chairman and Municipal Commissioner have also been supporting well to these ; public representative for the betterment of the masses and progress of the city.

Municipal Corporation is trying to solve civic problems and doing hard to provide better civic comforts in a planned manner needing the priorities of health, sanitation public convenience.